ISO 2004 NB Door Speakers

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Iva
 Iva
(@iva)
Topic starter  

Time to replace the original speakers - particularly the driver side one which only works when it feels like it!  Looking for something reasonable, would even consider stock speakers, and don't want to spend a arm and a leg for them.

Mike C
(@mike-c)

First of all, make sure it's the speaker that's not working.  When the driver's side door speakers in my '03 randomly quit working the problem turned out to be a failing head unit, not the speaker itself.  The random nature of the failure drove me crazy.  Well, OK, maybe a little more crazy.

I chose Clearwater speakers for my NB: http://www.clearwateraudio.com

They cost an arm and TWO legs, but they sound wonderful and they're plug-and-play in the Miata.  I enjoyed listening to them whenever I drove the car and never regretted the expense.

My favorite source for car audio components in general has always been Crutchfield: https://www.crutchfield.com

They have a pretty good selection, and they provide all the necessary adapters, connectors, instructions, etc, for a clean, hassle-free installation.

One caution: if your Miata has the Bose system your speaker selection may be limited.  If you don't have the Bose you should have no problem finding speakers.

2017 RF Club, 6MT, Arctic White

ReplyQuote
Mike C
(@mike-c)

After seeing the used speakers (Infinity?) you had at the picnic, I'm wondering if you couldn't just get some adapter brackets, or make some, and install the Infinitys in your NB.  This would probably be the least expensive solution to your speaker problem.

If your used speakers are smaller in diameter than the stock NB speakers this should be relatively simple.  If they're larger it may not be possible.

Again, check Crutchfield for adapter brackets, or start Googling.

2017 RF Club, 6MT, Arctic White

ReplyQuote
Iva
 Iva
(@iva)
Topic starter  

@mike-c Yes, it's the speakers. Took out the radio and put in a different one - same issue.  Also had the wiring checked when the car went in for inspection.

Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spend the money for new ones.

ReplyQuote
Jim Turner
(@jim-turner)

@iva

Hi, Iva - these are from my trusty but retired’02 SE - are they the same design/color as your ‘04?  If so, they’re yours…

Jim

'02 SE ti/br (retired)
'21 RF-GT 6MT mg/wh

ReplyQuote
Iva
 Iva
(@iva)
Topic starter  

@jim-turner - I have the non-Bose speakers.  But I'm willing to try them on for size. 😊 

ReplyQuote
Jim Turner
(@jim-turner)

What are the dimensions of the door panel cut-outs for the non-Bose speakers?  Same as the Bose?Do you need both the tweeter and the woofer?

'02 SE ti/br (retired)
'21 RF-GT 6MT mg/wh

ReplyQuote
Iva
 Iva
(@iva)
Topic starter  

@jim-turner I"ll have to check the size.  I'm not sure if I need both or not - depending on how they're wired, one might be good. 

ReplyQuote
Share: