Lake Naomi Ice Racing in the 1960s

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Flying Dutchman
(@flying-dutchman)
LVMOC Treasurer Admin
Topic starter  

On yesterday's drive, led by Alisunshine, we passed Lake Naomi, which is near Pocono Summit, PA.  As we did so, my increasingly unreliable memory coughed up a recollection of having attended an automobile ice race on Lake Naomi during the 1960s, with my sports car enthusiast father.  Upon returning home, I fired up Google, to see if I could find any information about those races.

I found written articles, many photos and some film footage of the ice racing on Lake Naomi, and I'd like to share those search results with anyone in LVMOC who might be interested.

Enjoy! Lake Naomi Ice Racing

Silver 2011 NC PRHT Grand Touring (actually Janice's car)

Mike C
(@mike-c)

Thanks Dave!  That looks like it would be fun to watch.  I wonder how thick the ice was?

2017 RF Club, 6MT, Arctic White

ReplyQuote
Flying Dutchman
(@flying-dutchman)
LVMOC Treasurer Admin
Topic starter  

@mike-c 

That would be interesting to know, Mike.  In one of the articles that the search found, it was noted that Lake Naomi, a man-made lake, was originally created as a source of ice for refrigeration, back when ice boxes were the standard for keeping foods cold.  The ice would have been thick enough for cutting blocks from it.

Silver 2011 NC PRHT Grand Touring (actually Janice's car)

ReplyQuote
Mike C
(@mike-c)

Perhaps the lake was not very deep, and froze solid in winter.  Or almost solid.  I suppose there had to be some water under the ice in order to remove the ice blocks.

I can remember people driving on the frozen Susquehanna river when I was younger, and ice skating on a frozen lake in a local park.

But more recently it has not been cold enough to form thick ice in my area.  The winters just aren't what they used to be.  Climate change!

2017 RF Club, 6MT, Arctic White

ReplyQuote
Share: