Clear all

Catawissa Leaf Rambler 10/15/2022

22 Posts
10 Users
12 Likes
Wowak
(@wowak)
Topic starter  

BRIAN'S FAMOUS (INFAMOUS?) EXCURSION THRU THE BEAUTIFUL NORTH-CENTRAL PA COUNTRYSIDE

When - Saturday, October 15th, 2022

Arrive: 9:00 a.m.

Drivers' Meeting: 9:30 a.m.

Depart: 9:45 a.m. 

Where - Meet at Sheetz, Sugarloaf Township

551 PA-93, Sugarloaf, PA 18249 

Event Leader: Brian Wowak

Join me for 124 miles of exquisite central Pennsylvania mountain and valley roads! The first segment departs from Sheetz and rolls through gentle farm land before circling around and climbing over Nescopeck Mountain, leading into a breezy run down the Scotch Valley before looping around the foot of the mountain at the other end to our rest stop at Loves Travel Stop in Mifflinville. 

From there we'll travel east along the Susquehanna river to Nescopeck where we'll turn south and head back into the hills before looping back to West where we'll cross a covered bridge over Catawissa Creek before settling back into the rolling farmlands along the Susquehanna river as we approach Danville. Time-permitting we may stop at a predetermined location for a group photo of our Miatas and drivers. Near Danville we'll stop for Lunch at the Cherokee Taphouse and Grille.  (To reserve a private room the venue requires we pay on one check,  so please bring cash,  preferably small bills so you can pay your exact amount with tip,  or plan to round up if you only have larger bills.) 

After lunch we'll head back into the rolling hills and valley roads east of Numedia, where we'll pass the Roaring Creek Friends Meeting House, a Quaker house of worship build of log construction in 1795-96. From there we'll continue southeast over the Little Mountain where we'll skirt the edges of Ringtown before heading north on Rt 339/Catawissa Creek Rd. We'll explore a few more country roads before ending back in Drums, at the Milkhouse Creamery, to enjoy their homemade ice cream! 

Total drive time is approximately 4 hours plus roughly 1 hour stop for brunch, so roughly 5 hours from start to ice cream. 

This event will follow the current Pennsylvania rules for COVID-19 safety. To avoid common handling of materials, we will email the directions to participants, for home printing, and we will eliminate the usual paper sign-in sheet. Since the sign-in confirms your agreement with LVMOC’s standard Waiver and Release, we will now consider your post to this event thread, indicating that you intend to participate, to be your “electronic” signature, indicating your agreement with said Waiver and Release (copy available on request).

We will use FRS radios for communications. Be sure to arrive by 9:00 a.m. with a full gas tank and an empty bladder.

Turn by turn instructions and a GPX file will be made available to anyone who attends.

1. Brian

2. Dawn & Tom

3. Ralph & Becky

4. Mike P.

5. Jerry B.

6. Joe & Tina

7. Alisunshine 

8. Jordan F.

This topic was modified 2 years ago 3 times by CTt3MX5

- Brian Wowak
1991 BRG SE #3716 of 4000 "Brigit"

HTOM
 HTOM
(@htom)

Please add Dawn and Tom. Thanks 

2020 Polymetal Gray Club ST

Wowak reacted
ReplyQuote
Zonker
(@zonker)

Please add Ralph & Becky.

Wowak reacted
ReplyQuote
(@whybu1)
LVMOC President

Please add Mike.  

Mike & Angela
2021 Soul Red RF (with custom black top)

Wowak reacted
ReplyQuote
Wowak
(@wowak)
Topic starter  

OK I did reserve our room with the Cherokee Tap Room,  and thinking about that I've never done a car cap on this drive but it makes sense to me to do a person cap at 20, since that's the capacity of the room.  I'll remind everyone that as a group we will have one check so please bring cash,  ideally in small enough bills that you don't need to make change from the group pot.  

TThe leaves are already starting to show color along the portion of the route that is also my commute home,  so I'm feeling very good about the 15th. 

- Brian Wowak

ReplyQuote
(@neilque67)

Please add Neil and Jennie 

1995 Merlot Mica M Edition Miata and 1991 British Racing Green Miata

Wowak reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jerryb)
Member Moderator

Please add Jerry to the list. Thanks!

2013 Copper Red GT

Wowak reacted
ReplyQuote
Beepbeep
(@beepbeep)
Joe & Tina

Add joe and Tina please 

StormND2Club and Wowak reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 123)

Alisunshine wishes to join in.

Wowak reacted
ReplyQuote
Wowak
(@wowak)
Topic starter  

The leaves are looking great along the Catawissa-Ringtown portion of the route,  I'll take the alternate route back north tomorrow to see how the roads are in that leg.  I'm getting excited for Saturday since I haven't been on a drive since the spring. 

- Brian Wowak

CTt3MX5 and Anonymous reacted
ReplyQuote
Wowak
(@wowak)
Topic starter  

Did a pre-run on a segment of the route this afternoon after work and found a bridge out on one of the roads!  This is why we do pre-runs!  Anyway I got with Walter who offered his expertise to update the GPX file and turn by turn instructions which I'll email out tomorrow.  The foliage is looking fantastic,  btw. 

- Brian Wowak

CTt3MX5 reacted
ReplyQuote
jordanleon
(@jordanleon)

Please add Jordan

ND2 Ceramic RF GT-S 6MT

ReplyQuote
(@neilque67)

Sorry for the last minute change but can you please take Neil and Jennie off for this drive. 

1995 Merlot Mica M Edition Miata and 1991 British Racing Green Miata

ReplyQuote
Zonker
(@zonker)

Was the route mailed out??

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 123)

@zonker it is in my email. Let me know if you want me to forward it to you.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: