Notifications
Clear all

Cobalt 3-Point Shock Tower Brace for MX-5 NC (2006-2015) - Brand New

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@slilley)
Topic starter  

Selling a brand new Cobalt 3-Point Shock Tower Brace, p/n 61-0640. This fits the NC-generation MX-5 Miata from 2006-2015 -- however, my MX-5 is a 2006 and apparently on the '06s there's a solenoid leading to the throttle body that gets in the way of installation. So this is a better fit for the 2007-2015 MX-5s. I'm not interested in jury rigging the solenoid to allow this aftermarket shock tower brace to fit in my 2006, so my loss is your gain. The Cobalt STB bolts up to the stock STB locations, but it's one solid piece instead of the stock multi-piece arrangement, so apparently it does a great job of making the entire front end more stiff and rigid. I paid $228 last year. Selling for $175, and will happily deliver anywhere within an hour of Reading PA (19610). Always looking for a good excuse to take a drive! My cell is 610-698-4714...feel free to call or text. If you don't have the factory shock tower brace, you need to order and install another part that connects the STB to the firewall; that piece isn't included in this sale, but is available from Goodwin Racing (where I got the STB from). I snapped some pics of the STB last night, so just reach out if you want to see what the brace looks like.

(@slilley)
Topic starter  

Here's the pictures of the brace: <a href=" removed link " target="true"> removed link

ReplyQuote
(@slilley)
Topic starter  

I actually got the STB installed this weekend, so it's no longer for sale!

ReplyQuote
CTt3MX5
(@ctt3mx5)
' Moderator

Awesome but also a bummer!  I was just going to inquire about meeting up to buy it from you.  🙂

How was the install?  What was the work around for the TB solenoid?  I have also heard that it can be a PITA trying to line all of the holes up.

2016 ST Ceramic Metallic GT aka Ghost

ReplyQuote
(@slilley)
Topic starter  

The install was a bit of a pain!

So I installed my Cobalt STB over the weekend in my 2006 Sport, and I'd swear it eliminated some of the steering wheel shake and vibration that I was seeing over bumps and rough roads. I had the factory STB before installing the Cobalt. After installing it, I pulled out of the driveway fully expecting there to be no difference, but within a block I was convinced it was an improvement.

I had to slightly grind two of the holes in the Cobalt brace where it attaches to the firewall bracket, making the holes probably 1/32 larger towards the front of the car. It still didn't simply drop into place, but I slowly tightened all the bolts and it eventually settled into place.

On the 2006, I also had to remove the brace holding the solenoid on the driver's side just forward of the brake fluid reservoir...after the funky solenoid brace was off I could wedge the solenoid back into the space it had previously occupied. So the install was a bigger PITA than I had anticipated, but for the price, I feel like it's well worth it.

ReplyQuote
CTt3MX5
(@ctt3mx5)
' Moderator

So you had the same issue I have read about.  Wonder why most people need to grind those holes for the cowl bracket?  Happy to hear you got it on and felt an improvement!

2016 ST Ceramic Metallic GT aka Ghost

ReplyQuote
Share: