CHARITY = FOOD BANK

15 Posts
7 Users
26 Likes
livetodrive
(@livetodrive)
' Moderator
Topic starter  

At this time of the year, our hearts grow more aware of those who have little to eat. Alison has suggested a “food drive” fundraiser for her favorite Food Bank. As the good people we are, we, as a Club, would like to support her. 

If you are going on the "Return to Dieffenbach's" drive on 10/31/20, please consider a donation. If the spirit moves you, you can contribute directly to Second Harvest Food Bank by clicking HERE or by check or cash.  David, LVMOC Treasurer, will accept the cash or checks from participants of the drive.  If you are not attending that event, you can still contribute directly, using the above link, or mail a check, payable to Second Harvest Food Bank, to the Club at P.O. Box 90602, Allentown, PA 18109-0602.

A thank you in advance for caring about others who are hungry.

*IMPORTANT UPDATE: Due to the COVID-19 crisis, Second Harvest has stopped accepting community donations of food until further notice.

Louie Draxler VP

2014 Club 2.5L "Punisher Edition", 2017 RF GT

CTt3MX5 and CTt3MX5 reacted
Bergy
(@bergy)

Dave is treasurer@lvmoc.net, right?

'01 BRG SE

ReplyQuote
rhetlaw
(@rhetlaw)

Who would we make our checks payable to?

ReplyQuote
rhetlaw
(@rhetlaw)

Alison, rather than dealing with your small trunk, how about the idea of you putting together a drive to the Food Bank and we could join along with our own trunks filled with food?

Walter

ReplyQuote
livetodrive
(@livetodrive)
' Moderator
Topic starter  

I am going to use this opportunity to redirect all of these questions and suggestions to Alison. She approached the officers with her gracious intentions and, as VP, I felt that I should pull the trigger on this with ZERO THOUGHT, and post this. 

Sometimes I have impulse control issues. For that, I apologize to everyone.

Louie Draxler VP

ReplyQuote
livetodrive
(@livetodrive)
' Moderator
Topic starter  

@bergy Yes sir!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 123)

Fellow Miata Enthusiasts,

Every Saturday morning, cars line up along the edge of my street, waiting for the local food bank to open. As I drive by in my sports car, on the way to yet another fun day with my Miata friends, I can’t help but reflect on how fortunate I am while so many others are suffering. 

An idea occurred to me. I suggest an LVMOC "food drive fundraiser. I did a little research and found that a nonprofit group, Second Harvest Food Bank, has a local chapter in the Lehigh Valley which also serves northeastern Pennsylvania. 

Due to the pandemic, Second Harvest is no longer accepting food from the community. Monetary donations can be made in two ways:
  • directly to them by clicking here
  • through LVMOC using cash or a check made out to Second Harvest Food Bank

I hope that we can work together to serve our community while doing what we all love. 

Alisunshine

ReplyQuote
livetodrive
(@livetodrive)
' Moderator
Topic starter  

Thank you Alison for publishing that. I see canned meats are on the list, I will bring a bunch of cans of Dolphin Safe, preferably pole caught, tuna.

On behalf of LVMOC, we always appreciate all input for how to improve our drives, and the Club in general. I can think of no better way to improve a drive, than by reflecting on the generous nature that makes humanity redeemable.

Louie Draxler VP 

ReplyQuote
rhetlaw
(@rhetlaw)

Alison, a wonderful suggestion. Nancy and I have been giving annually to Second Harvest Food Bank for a long, long time. Rather than bring food to the Potato Chip drive, we will be making a contribution to our local Second Harvest Food Bank.

Great Idea you had. Thanks for thinking of others.

ReplyQuote
StormND2Club
(@stormnd2club)
Love Mazda, Subaru & Toyota

Posted by: @alisunshine

Fellow Miata Enthusiasts,

Every Saturday morning, cars line up along the edge of my street, waiting for the local food bank to open. As I drive by in my sports car, on the way to yet another fun day with my Miata friends, I can’t help but reflect on how fortunate I am while so many others are suffering. 

An idea occurred to me. I suggest an LVMOC "food drive fundraiser. I did a little research and found that a nonprofit group, Second Harvest Food Bank, has a local chapter in the Lehigh Valley which also serves northeastern Pennsylvania. 

Due to the pandemic, Second Harvest is no longer accepting food from the community. Monetary donations can be made in two ways:
  • directly to them by clicking here
  • through LVMOC using cash or a check made out to Second Harvest Food Bank

I hope that we can work together to serve our community while doing what we all love. 

Alisunshine

I know what you mean. Recently I passed by the food bank in downtown Allentown driving in my $30,000 toy and there’s a line at least 40 people long. Anyone who can afford even a working and reliable vehicle, which is out of reach for a couple billion people worldwide, is fortunate. We are even more fortunate to have multiple vehicles and like many of you, my Miata is just for fun and because I really enjoy driving. 

I will gladly donate but am waiting for my bank to issue me new checks as I ran out a week or so ago. As soon as they come I’ll get one to David. 

I love this idea and further cements my belief that this club is filled with warm & generous people and the best thing to happen to me this year - while maybe that doesn’t say much considering what the year has been,  it says something.  

This post was modified 3 years ago by StormND2Club

Jordan F. White, M.S.
2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT 6MT AWD (NB summer 2024!)

CTt3MX5, livetodrive, CTt3MX5 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
livetodrive
(@livetodrive)
' Moderator
Topic starter  

I agree with Jordan. The warmth exuded by the members of this Club make it special. It makes me very proud to be a part of it. 

Louie

StormND2Club, CTt3MX5, StormND2Club and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 123)

My heart is touched by the generous response of so many of you. 

It would be interesting to know the total of the donations from our members. I plan to post the total amount (individual contributions will remain confidential), so that the club has feedback on the success of our project. 

If you are comfortable doing so, please share with me the amount of your donation. I propose a couple of ways to do this. 

• Send a PM through this website.
  • Jot down only the dollar amount on a slip of paper and give it to me or Dave at tomorrow’s drive. 

Again, the amount of your generous donation will remain anonymous, but it will be interesting to see the results.

Grateful to be among you all,

Alison 

StormND2Club, livetodrive, StormND2Club and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele)

Donation made directly to Second Harvest.

ReplyQuote
Flying Dutchman
(@flying-dutchman)
LVMOC Treasurer Admin

Last week I delivered the funds received by LVMOC to Second Harvest Food Bank of the Lehigh Valley and N.E. PA, at their facility at 6969 Silver Crest Road, Nazareth, PA.  The Club received a total of $281 from members who participated in drives earlier this month, and, according to emails I received, other members donated a total of at least $325.00 directly to Second Harvest.  Below is my cover letter that accompanied the checks that I dropped off.

Thanks to all LVMOC members who contributed to Second Harvest Food Bank during this charitable event... it means so much to those who are suffering from economic hardship brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic and other causes.

And, a special thanks to Alison Schaefer, for suggesting and organizing this charitable activity on behalf of the Club! 👍 

Silver 2011 NC PRHT Grand Touring (actually Janice's car)

StormND2Club, CTt3MX5, livetodrive and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
livetodrive
(@livetodrive)
' Moderator
Topic starter  

As President Elect, I would like to thank the members of our Club for: A) being good people in general; B) being generous with those who are in need; C) The efforts of Alison and Dave to make this successful. 

I would also like to thank each member who continued to pay their membership dues early this year, before it was clear that there would be a driving season.

I would like to thank all of our new members who joined us this year. This is a wonderful Club full of exceptional people. We have added loads of new, friendly faces, as well as some very cool cars! 

A special shout out to the addition of our long-lost cousins to our Club. So welcome Fiata Spider 124s into the fold! We can boast of how diverse our Club is now: including a RHD Pit Crew NA variant,  and Atomic Betty's V8 firepower!

We ARE the Cool Kids!

Thank you everyone. And have a safe Thanksgiving, from Louie Draxler,  your President (elect)

StormND2Club, CTt3MX5, StormND2Club and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: